Friday, February 1, 2008

"Defeat the Winter Doldrums" Dishcloth Swap Weekly Topic #2

There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!
Well I've had really good luck with gifting my knitting and crocheted items. I crocheted my father a scarf and had to replace that scarf many times due to that the fact he wore the scarves so much that they were getting ratty. My father wore a scarf I made him all the time, even when he went to the hospice for what was suppose to be a temporary trial stay for two weeks and he passed away before he was to be released to come back home. He passed on of pancreatic cancer and I really wished that he was home his last days because I'm terrified of hospitals so I avoid them. He understood though and I did actually visit him there, but not as often as I wanted to. i am happy that he had his scarf with him there so he had a part of me with him. Another great recipient for my knitted and crocheted gifts is my daughter mini-me, who loves getting presents especially if I've made them. Her most favourite to date is her Ravenclaw scarf. Ever since she was little, she's steal the scarves that I crocheted for myself after making her one or two because she loved them so much. Now that I knit she has received only one knit scarf, well actually two -- one for her and one for her teddy bear -- and she has loved them both that she always asks if I'm make her more especially after drooling over the ones I finally managed to keep for myself! My Grandmother and Great Grandmother are also the perfect people to make knitted or crocheted items for and love to show them off to everyone they can. They both knit and crochet, even though my Great Grandmother is now 96 and had to give it up a few years ago due to breaking her wrist. I've given gifts of knitted and crocheted items a lot and had no issues except for the recipients asking for more!! That I dno't really consider a bad thing, it's a great compliment that my handmade items are being loved so much that they need to be replaced :-)