Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Defeat the Winter Doldrums Dishcloth Swap Weekly Topic #`

Weekly Topic: Dishrag. Dishcloth. Face cloth. I've seen folks get all fired up in forums when someone refers to their knit or crochet creation as a dishrag, as that's somehow offensive to them! When you're working on yours, what do you call them? Also, is there a difference between a dishrag and a dishcloth? How bout a facecloth? Are they all really the same thing?

At first I thought dishrag, dishcloth, face cloth...hmmm same s#$t different pile. Then I really thought about it and I want a facecloth (washcloth) to be soft and gentle and a dishcloth (dishrag) should be a little rougher to help scrub things. Truly do you want to wash your baby's bottom with a scouring cloth?? I'd hope not, come one folks even if that sweet baby is wailing like a banshee you don't want to hurt that tender skin. I don't want to use something with just plain old rough cotton on my unmentionables as well! For face cloths (or washcloths) I use a softer cotton like Blue Sky Alpaca's Organic or Dyed cotton or Cascade pima cotton, sure it can pill a little but boy is it super soft on your skin. For the general all purpose kitchen cleaning cloths avoid using the soft cottons and usually use good old Bernat's kitchen cotton. Another way to think about it is would you use the dishrag that you just used to wipe that dog drool or baby puke off the floor to wash your face. Seriously, no matter how many times that dishrag is washed I can't bring myself to wash my face with it. There really is a difference if you look at it, seriously!!