Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Getting ready

I start school again this year. I'm going back to college to learn how to use technology available to people with visual disabilities in a work setting. When I started working as a legal secretary/admin. assistant I was very new to using programs like JAWS (text to speech program) and ZoomText or Magic (screen magnifiers) as well as simple things like a handheld cctv or a desktop cctv, which magnifies text on papers etc... I'm a very quick learner, but stress and dealing with co-workers who would come to my desk to stare at me working on a reverse background screen that is magnified to say "I can't believe you can deal with your screen like that, it's so weird" etc.. So after a few offices like this or so, I decided to take some time off working and dealing with making life easier by using aids and learning to cope with the many stupid and/or ignorant people in this world and their insensitive comments. I tend to bottle up my emotions when dealing with the general public stupidity and after a while I end up being angry, jaded and frustrated that I can't deal with the same questions or remarks over and over again. Here's a few that have been eating at me that I have been trying to learn to just smile and not react to.

  • "you don't look blind"
  • while working my guide dog "oh you are training the dog"
  • I let them know that she's my guide dog and we've recently graduated from training and the common comment is "Oh I'm so sorry, but you are so young. It's so hard you are so strong" or something to that effect
  • people giving my dog orders like sit or talking to her when she is working
  • "I could never give up a cute dog like that you are so brave to be training the dog and giving it away"
  • when I'm giving my dog a correction "she not really a good guide dog is it" seems like people don't realize that these dogs aren't completely perfect especially if they are distracting her" or "don't do that she didn't do anything wrong" etc..
The list goes on, but I'm sure you are sick of me whining about the lovely remarks of the general public. I realize that many, many people don't really understand the relationship of a working dog and visually impaired/blind handler and I try to educate people because I hope they will come away with some understanding and talk about it with others, thus educating the masses. There are also many that ask questions, but don't listen to the answer and just reply that's nice then turn to someone else and tell that person exactly the same piece of misinformation that I just explained is incorrect. okay end/rant

I don't mean for this post to be a rant, but I needed to get it out of my system. So going back to school is going to take some knitting time away from me so I've been working on my Hogwarts Sock Swap pals second sock exclusively then I have two more swap deadline projects to knit then I'm going to hold off on any other swaps for a bit. I've also decided not to do any holiday knitting this year to avoid being stressed and rushed.

Here's some good news, I am getting my new laptop so I hope to be able to post here a bit more than I have been lately. Oh and I'm finally getting some Socks That Rock for my very own! I ordered a hank of the new 100% silk as well as a random stripe tube sock kit because I got impatient awaiting for Sock Candy to be put for sale on the site. A while back I e-mailed BMFA inquiring how to get ahold of the prized Sock Candy that has been showing up on blogs here and there and I was told that they are working on getting it up on the website sometime in late summer, early fall. I have a feeling that it's going to be delayed some more for other new BMFA yarns that are not animal fiber allergy friendly. *sigh* Till then I have some lovely silk to make a stole in Lagoon. Cotton Socktina is coming to the Loopy Ewe and I'm excited. I can't wait till the next sneak-up and I'm a Loopy Groupie so I get an e-mail warning about the sneak-up. yay!

BTW hello to all my swap secret pals, you know who you are.